Thursday 8 February 2007

Welcome to the GUN show

One of my coolest childhood moments happened when I was 12 years old which involved my Dad giving me a gun... ok so it was just an air-rifle; but to me as a 12 year old kid I'd just been given an 44 Magnum! On Wednesday I got to re-live some of those memories and fire off a few rounds with the genuine article. It appears the gun laws in South Africa are a little more relaxed than in the uk. In true John Wayne style our host for the day Sebastian appeared wearing one on his belt... apparently he feels naked without a gun with him at all times?! Anyway that worrying fact aside he did have a bag full of guns to play with and we were all wearing HUGE grins ;-)

We tried out 10 different weapons ranging from the tiny 22 through to one of the largest hand guns in the world the 454 Casull Raging Bull. Starting off with paper targets we quickly got our aim tuned in so we could move on to blowing up wood, bricks and water bottles. Other guns included detectives special colt 38, Glock, colt 45 and of course Dirty Harry's choice of gun the legendary 44 Magnum!

Once we'd finished with the handguns we moved on to some clay pigeon shooting with a pump action shotgun - my smile grew even wider as I pumped the shotgun to release the smoking cartridge between each shot. The climax of the day was blowing up water bottles with a sawn-off shotgun (apparently only useful for two things... blowing up water bottles and robbing banks!) This was a great way to cool down after a couple of hours of shooting in the sun.

1 comment:

Gareth Evans said...

Sweeeeet!!!

I would love to fire a gun!

What is the recoil like? Are they heavy?

Looks like you are having great time. Very jealous!

G